Why I Love Commencement!

Why I Love Commencement!

Dr. Angulus Wilson
Dr. Angulus Wilson

I love this time of year! Students are excited, faculty have worked hard, families are enaged and prepared to honor those to whom honor is due. Most of all the Lord is pleased with the work of the Fresno Pacific Family, because we have served him faithfully. All of these are great reasons to be excited about commencement. However, the greatest reason of all is that we get to send brand new workers into the Harvest, to join God in what He is already doing in the earth.

The Bible says in Luke 10:1-2

1 “The Lord now chose seventy other disciples and sent them on ahead in pairs to all the towns and villages he planned to visit later. 2 These were his instructions to them: “Plead with the Lord of the harvest to send out more laborers to help you, for the harvest is so plentiful and the workers so few.” (TLB)

This excites me, because I get to bless the multitude with the benediction of the Lord, and at the same time ask the Lords blessing upon their lives as they leave from among us. Here is my Prayer for the Class of 2014!

“Our Great God and father, thank you for the precious privilege, to be present here in this place, thank you for the journey. We praise you for your mercy, kindness and Grace. Holy Father, we honor you today for what you have done in the life of these graduates.”

“Thank you for answering our prayers. These students have worked hard. Their faculty, staff and administration have been excellent examples and good stewards, so May your name be glorified because of their service… Receive our prayers today, as an offering of praise. Would you reward our faithfulness with a chance to do it again? We love you Father and are committed to you.”

“Thank you again for our Board of Trustees, our beloved President, his cabinet, our faculty, staff and especially these wonderful gifts! (Our students)”

“We ask for Your blessing now upon each graduate, and family in attendance, may your Spirit direct them, and guide them. By your authority we commission them for the ministry of kindness, missions, service, leadership and stewardship. Bless them as they go to serve you in a dark world. They need you now, be glorified by their lives. We pray these things in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

“Now unto him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless, before the presence of his glory with exceeding great joy. To the only wise God our savior, to him be glory and majesty dominion and power both now and forever amen. (Jude)”

A.D Wilson

College Hour
University Pastor

University Pastor

2 responses to “Why I Love Commencement!”

1. Well stated Dr. Gehrett. When I am walking to my office at work on
    campus at FPU, I like to observe how many students are carrying a cell
    phone in their hand. I usually can find a few students actually walking
    and chatting with their friends and not texting, reading, or browsing
    an app. During my last weekend camping trip proved that I needed to say
    “Goodnight iPhone”. Sequoia National Park has no access to wifi or
    internet. My husband and I reached out in every direction holding our
    phones in the air hoping for any celestial connection. We knew we were
    hooked on our iPhones. Camping, getting away, nature…why did we need
    to use our apps? Thank you Sequoia National Park, we said “Goodnight
    iPhone”