What Happened when Jesus Died
What Happened when Jesus Died
For 27 years I have tried to tell the story of what happened to Jesus when He died on the cross. I have reported this story on 5 continents; I have reported it in airports, prisons, schools, ball parks, pulpits, street corners and numerous other places.
As a good news reporter of heaven, I have been called by God to proclaim this fact for the salvation of mankind. In fact, not only me, but hundreds of thousands of witnesses, who belonged to the same preaching fraternity have given their lives to tell this same old story.
It is not a new story, but an old story. It is not a story to make you rich, but rather to have you mocked. It is not a story to bring you honor but rather to bring you difficulty, yet, nevertheless we preach it with power because we are compelled to tell somebody about the facts of Calvary.
It is an honor this morning to tell you one more time that one Friday on a Hill called Calvary the Lamb of God died on an old rugged cross to take away the sins of the world.
I pray today as you hear these facts, you will leave here arrested by these truths and make a decision to live for Him and love like him for the rest of your life.
Today we see King Jesus the Son of God being whipped and beat and transported out of Jerusalem to a place called Calvary, where he is to be crucified for the sins of the world.
This was God’s plan by which he would save men & Women from their sins. Through the sacrificial death of his only begotten son.
You see the world was in bad shape and all were headed for hell, because of the sins of Adam & Eve. But God through His divine love came up with a plan to save all those who desired to be saved from the penalty of sin and death.
This plan consisted of sending his only begotten Son” Jesus” down to earth and have him to become sin for us and sacrifice his very life in our place as an offering unto the Father.
This death was the only thing that would please a holy God. God wanted a holy, sinless offering to atone for sin; Jesus is and was this special offering.
It is through his death that we can be saved, this is the only way we can make it in to God’s heaven.
The Bible says that Jesus is the way the truth and the life, no man can come unto the father but through him.
When Jesus died on the cross for you it brought us the only chance to escape God’s wrath, punishment, and eternal separation.
This is called salvation by grace, something we didn’t deserve, but because of his love he made it available for us.
You see God has fixed everything, so that salvation is free for you! You cannot earn eternal life, and you cannot be good enough, smart enough, or nice enough.
There are three things that happened when Jesus died on the cross;
- Heaven went into mourning
- Heathens went into mocking
- History went into making
I. Heaven went into Mourning
33 At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.
In this portion of the text two of the greatest mysteries on earth took place, when Jesus died.
- The Solar system stood as a witness against man for the price of our sins.
- The humanity of Jesus couldn’t stand the awful separation that took place between Him and his father because of SIN.
- From 12 noon until 3:00 pm JESUS the creator of the SOLAR System was bearing the full judgment of God against our Sins.
The Heavens themselves filled up with sorrow, in observation of HIS sacrifice, they refused to give man light!
The stars who ruled the night dare not spin in their silvery sockets, at the sight of Christ on the cross.
The Moon that danced on the black azure blanket of the sky would not give off her light because of what had taken place on the cross
The fiery chariot called day-light refused to keep running across the sky when he seen his Creator hanging on that old rugged cross! This is what happened when Jesus died!34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?“-which means, “My God, my God, why have you left me?” Here we have a prayer/cry from our intercessor Emmanuel speaking in the “Aramaic tongue” My God, My God Why have you turned away from me!He missed the relationship He had with HIS Father in the Beginning. Jesus went through mourning that we might obtain His grace.Observation:Here we have the Lamb of God being crucified and killed for our Sins, on the altar of sacrifice! Jesus who is 100% God and 100% man, suffered at the hands of His Own Father because of Sin. (They had been one from the beginning of the annals of eternity) This is what happened when Jesus Died!
- But now because of HIS willingness to become sin for us, HIS FATHER turned His back on HIS ONLY Begotten Son that the Sins of man may be atoned for!
- He had never experienced separation from his Father before Calvary.
- As he is paying the Price for our sins…he cries out as the Lambs would in the temple sacrifice!
- In the Old Testament when the sacrifice was offered in the temple the animal being slain would cry out as his blood was being shed for the sins of the people.
- This is the Mourning of heavens King, as he must suffer alone for US!
The Bible Said…..
- At the sight of Jesus hanging on the cross the heavens went into Mourning, at the sight of SIN against God being paid for by GOD!
- While we are living in this fallen world and have died to the sin nature, every now and then there is Pain and loneliness even in Christianity!
- Sin has a way of causing you great pain and sorrow!
- Sin has a way of causing you grief and heartache!
- Sin has a way of bringing you dark moments and tear stained pillows!
- Sin has a way of crushing your heart and wounding your Spirit!You too cry out in your Humanity “My God, My God why have you forsaken me?”Jesus knows your pain, Jesus knows your trouble, Jesus knows your experience and He can tell you to hold on, because it is a part of your cross!
II. Heathens went into Mocking
35 When some of those standing near heard this, they said, “Listen, he’s calling Elijah.”
Here it is…
And what makes it so bad is that when you are living righteously, and SIN against You occurs, you go to God for comfort and he does not answer!
- One man ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.
- With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.
In this portion of the verse we see the reality of wickedness.
Even while hanging on the cross, mankind yet inflicts more agony upon our suffering savior.
The first thing we notice is mans ill-reverent Humor at the cross.
The observers now make fun of the master’s prayer in the midst of his suffering.
They twist his prayer and mock his agony! “He is calling for Elijah” to come down and Save Him!
They first make this statement because all religious Jews believed that Elijah was a great prophet who was miraculously taken to Heaven upon a fiery chariot!
- They also believed that he would one day come back again “Like the prophecy of Malachi predicted”!
- But here you have vile sinners mocking Christ and mocking scripture, attempting to inflict more pain upon Jesus.
- They offer Him Sour wine to quench is thirst! Criminals were given this to drink, they equated the King of Glory with being a common thief!
- Every now and then in Life you have enemies who cannot get enough of your suffering!
- Every now and then in Life, your dying daily to Christ is not enough to satisfy those who despise you!
- Those who truly are anti-Christ will go out of the way to make your crucified life filled with Pain!
- I stop by to tell you that the Pain of Calvary is real!
- Ive noticed that the Pain of hanging on a cross and carrying a cross are two different things!
- As Christians you have been called to both, you are called to carry the cross and then you are called to die daily upon that cross!This is what happened when Jesus died!
III. History was in the making
The crucified life of Christ is an example of how we are to live in a hostile world for the one who has redeemed us from SIN.
38 The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
39 And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!”
40 Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.
41 In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there.
The Veil that was in the temple separated the Inner courts from the holy of holies: Only the high priest could enter to offer prayers to God for the people; (Heb. 10:19-22)
- When Jesus died he was our High Priest who went into the Holy of Holies and tore down the Veil that kept us separated from God!
- Because he died, you and I now have access to God!
- Because he died we no longer have to offer bulls and Goats, he was our last and forever offering!
- Because he died I can go to God 24/7 and tell him how I feel, tell HIM what’s on my mind!
- Because he died I can go to God and tell Him how my life is messed up and that I need His help!When Jesus died History was made, because GODS sacrifice was complete, there was nothing else needed to pay for man’s SINS!When Jesus died History was made, because I was eligible to be born again by the blood of the Lamb!Conclusion:
The song writer said…..
This is what happened on the day that Jesus died!
- When Jesus died History was made, Because the old Law was replaced with the New Law!
- When Jesus died History was made because mankind’s Savior had finally Paid it all!
- What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus; What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
- Oh! precious is the flow that makes me white as snow; No other fount I know, Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
- For my pardon, this I see, Nothing but the blood of Jesus; For my cleansing this my plea, Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
- Nothing can for sin atone, Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
- Naught of good that I have done,
- Nothing but the blood of Jesus. This is all my hope and peace, Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
- This is all my righteousness, Nothing but the blood of Jesus.He didn’t stay dead, early Sunday morning he rose from the dead with all power of Heaven and earth in His hands!
- When Jesus died He shed His precious blood for me, and because of His blood he has washed all my Sins away.
The New King James Version. (1982). (Mk 15:33–41). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.