Spiritual Warfare and Moral Confusion in the 21rst Century… “Is it really real”?
Spiritual Warfare and Moral Confusion in the 21rst Century… “Is it really real”?
What is Moral confusion? Moral confusion is the work of Satan created to oppose the moral law of God in the universe. Moral confusion is spiritual warfare against the church because it opposes the mind of Christ.
In the beginning with Adam & Eve, Satan created moral confusion designed to implement rebellion against God. Immorality is the child born of their disobedience … Immoral behavior is anti-God, and it has filled the Universe with its poison.
As a result of these things, there is an invisible war-taking place in our Universe. It is an ongoing battle happening in the unseen realm, but is manifested in the physical realm. The Apostle Paul writes in the Pauline Letter of Ephesians, “We do not fight against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places (Eph.6:12).” This truth alone validates the reality of what is happening in the Universe against God and the Church.
SPIRITUAL WARFARE is described in three ways;
1. Warfare with the world
2. Warfare with demonic presence/influence
3. Warfare with the flesh and the spirit
Satan the prince and power of the air, is strategically responsible for the evil that reins in the earth. He fights against the church of Jesus Christ to oppose her deeds. The scriptures say that he tempts, he deceives, he lies and he influences sinful behavior among Believers.
The world also is against the Lords body of Believers. Jesus said that the world would hate his disciples because it hated him first. (Mt. 10:22)
The Apostle Paul declared that the children of God were in a battle in their own hearts. At times we desire to do good, but evil is always present to make us do wrong. He said that there was a law at work in our bodies warring against the law of our minds, bringing us into captivity to the law of sin, which is in our bodies. (Rom. 7:13-25)
For the sake of this lecture, I am defining Spiritual Warfare and Moral confusion as anything that stands against, opposes, and or hinders the gospel and the work and witness of God in the Believers life.
Moral confusion in our urban context takes place on multiple levels. Today I want to shed light on a few of these areas. Moral behavior is not a Christian position, it is a human position! We as human beings are creatures born with a Moral compass.
We are born with this conscious, it teaches us to know right from wrong! Morality helps to govern our ability to live in community.
Immorality is what opposes Morality. As Christians, we strive to be moral-followers of Christ, and moral humans, even though we live in an immoral world.
Whenever immorality opposes morality it is in opposition to who we are and whose we are. Why? Because… “IMMORAL BEHAVOR OPPOSES THE GOSPEL AND IS SPIRITUAL WARFARE AGAINST GOD, HIS WORD AND HIS PEOPLE.
Michael Bauman, Ph.D. professor of theology and culture at Hillsdale College, says there are clear examples of moral confusion found in American culture….
1. “When it comes to prohibiting sexual harassment or sexual discrimination in the marketplace, feminists don’t complain about this legislation because it was based upon a system of morals.
2. On the other hand, they complain about legislating morality when it comes to outlawing abortion. [This is an example of moral confusion]
3. Civil rights laws support affirmative action and opposes the Jim Crow legislation of the old South, because we believe that people are created equal and ought therefore to be treated equally under the law.
4. However, you cannot support affirmative action, and then deny pro-life when it comes to abortion, for even the unborn baby has a right to an equal opportunity to live. [This is an example of moral confusion]
Moral confusion is another form of Spiritual warfare for the Christian.
It is designed to war against our souls, our hearts and our families in the earth!
The believer should know that the reason why moral confusion can thrive in a society where people want morality when it’s convenient for their agenda, and they don’t want it when it opposes what’s convenient for themselves, is because we live in a fallen world.
Sinners commit sin, and moral confusion breeds itself well in the mind of unbelief!
IMMORAL BEHAVOR DONE ANY WHERE AND BY ANYONE…OPPOSES THE GOSPEL AND IS SPIRITUAL WARFARE AGAINST GOD, HIS WORD AND HIS PEOPLE.
For the sake of this lecture, please remember;
1. Abortion is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and its morally wrong, and the bible says so!
2. Same sex relations is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and it’s morally wrong, and the bible says so!
3. Gambling is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and it’s morally wrong, and the bible says so!
4. Smoking weed is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and it’s morally wrong, and the bible says so!
5. Getting high is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and it’s morally wrong, and the bible says so!
6. Racism is legal, but it isn’t right, it’s SIN, and it’s morally wrong, and the bible says so!
As we come to discuss moral confusion in our world, we cannot have this discussion without discerning that moral confusion is bred in and through Spiritual Warfare.
[Remember our working definition for this lecture: Spiritual Warfare and Moral confusion is anything that stands against, opposes, and or hinders the gospel and the work and witness of God in the Believers life. (Spiritual Warfare)]
1. In Matthew 16:15-23, the devil tempts Peter to try to stop Jesus from going to Calvary. [he created moral confusion]
2. In Luke 22:22-23, Satan influenced Judas to betray Jesus into the hands of the enemy. [he created moral confusion]
3. In Acts 5:3, the Scriptures say that Satan filled the heart of Ananias to lie to the Holy Spirit. [he created moral confusion]
4. In 1 Cor. 7:5, married couples are encouraged not to defraud one another so that Satan may not tempt them. [he creates moral confusion]
5. In 2 Corinthians 2:11, the church is exhorted to forgive one another so that Satan may not outwit them with his many devices. Paul warns the church that Satan masquerades as an angel of light to deceive people. [he creates moral confusion]
As Christians living in the 21rst Century, the global Urban culture…We have been given the privileged to represent Christ as his ambassadors in the Midnight hour of this age. We do this through times of darkness, loneliness, pain, isolation, difficulty, trouble, persecution, mistreatment, confusion and much more.
• We are living in the midnight hour of global chaos. [Satan creates moral confusion all around us]
• Never has the world been so evil and corrupt. [Satan has created moral confusion]
• We are living through international terrorism against the church of Jesus Christ for the witness of Jesus Christ. (World religions meet to discuss our demise.) [Satan has created moral confusion]
• There is Persecution on economic, political, social, and religious fronts against us. [Satan has created moral confusion]
• There are rampant evil doctrines springing up against the church of Jesus Christ. [Satan has created moral confusion]
• We are facing Murder, envy, jealousy, racism, rage, greed, idolatry, immorality and homosexuality like never before. [Satan has created moral confusion]
The Scriptures are very clear that the Church is in a war, and it is a battle that has no rest for the present times. We shall continue to be in this battle, until the coming of our Savior.
Therefore, “The Reality and Remedy of Spiritual Warfare and Moral Confusion” is a needed conversation that all believers must be involved in if we are to engage in the work of missions in a “global urban community.”
What is the answer to our modern day dilemma?
The Holy Spirit of God in the answer. He alone is pushing back moral confusion through the proclamation of the word of God!
Jesus said… “And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
10ways the Spirit of God opposes Moral Confusion in the believer…
1. It is by the Spirit that we confess that Jesus is Lord. (I Cor. 12:3) [The Spirit of God combats Moral confusion]
2. It is through the Spirit that we receive Gifts from God. (I Cor. 12:4-27) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion]
3. It is through the Spirit that we know the way to Christ. (Rom. 8:14-15) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion]
4. It is through the Spirit that God bears witness to us that we are children of God (Rom 8:16-17) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion]
5. It is the Holy Spirit that makes intercession for us (Rom. 8:26-27) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion]
6. The Holy Spirit brings a person to the new birth. (John 3:6) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion]
7. The Holy Spirit is the helper whom Jesus promised to the disciples would come after His ascension. (John 14:16,26) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]
8. It is through the Spirit that the Father and Son abide with the disciples. (John 15:26) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]
9. The Spirit guides the believer into all truth [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]
10. The Holy Spirit honors the Father and Son by helping the community of believers. (John 14:16) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]
What takes away our fear about Moral Confusion?
• Prayer is where we see God at work in evangelism. (I tim.2:1-4) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]
• Prayer is the key to being a witness. (Acts 2)
• Prayer and being filled with the Spirit, will lead you to witness for Him. (Acts 1:8)
How the Spirit of God works through the local church
1. He works to equip the saints for the work of the ministry
2. He works to prepare the harvest for reaping.
3. He works to empower the saints to go out and bring in the harvest
4. The entire thrust of evangelism in the New Testament is the work of the Spirit.
God is at work drawing men unto himself. John (6:44) [The Spirit of God is combating Moral confusion in the earth]