Dear Laura,

Let me start by saying this blog post is different than any other blog post I’ve written. Mostly because this one is really personal to me and it is my way of expressing my emotions of what has happened in my life the last week that kind of turned my world upside down. It’s not nearly as positive as the rest of the blogs. So, if you start reading this and decide not to continue I totally understand. Writing is kind of the only thing I know how to do and the only thing I can do right now, so here it goes.

Last week on Monday night, I posted on Facebook that it was an emotionally rough day and that if people saw me to not ask what is going on, but instead give me hugs. That’s still what I need right now. I posted that status update because I found out that my boss, my mentor, my friend, Laura Brickey had taken a turn for the worst and wasn’t expected to leave the hospital. It was hard to take in because three weeks prior she was doing just fine as she told me and was feeling good.

Then on Tuesday things got worse, and that evening she passed away. Now this was extremely difficult for me because I was really close to her, like I said, she was my mentor, and my first boss, and she let me babysit her daughter for her. She is also the first person I’ve ever lost. So needless to say, it’s been a rough week, and will continue to be a rough week I’m sure, during both her memorial services. So, my blog for this week is a letter to her, telling her all the things I wish I said sooner.
Dear Laura,

Thank you. Thank you for putting so much time into training me, thank you for putting up with my attitude at times, but thank you for loving me. You taught me more than you’ll ever know and it starts with how to love. You showed me that loving someone can be as simple as stopping work to pray with someone, and as challenging as loving someone despite their crazy weirdness. You showed me how to be patient, like really patient with people as I had to wait for your craziness to die down just a little to have you sign an invoice. You showed me that faith is more important than worrying, because worrying and being scared gets you nowhere. You taught me that any mistake is fixable no matter how badly I may have messed up an invoice. You taught me that work doesn’t always have to be all work all the time. Sometimes we can have fun too. Thank you for trusting me with your precious little one. For letting me watch her on nights when you needed some time alone with DJ. Thank you for introducing me to Doc McStuffins and showing me how fun and interesting children’s shows can be. Thank you for believing in me when even I couldn’t. Thank you for walking me outside and telling me it was all going to be okay, and no matter how many papers were due or how many credit card statements I had to do. Thank you for reminding me that it’s okay to wait for the right guy to come along, and for being so understanding when I had all those doctors appointments. I love you and I miss you and I cannot wait to see you again, however, I really hope it’s not too soon for my sake.

Love, Sara

#faithoverfear

• Wayne Steffen

#like