I Got to Meet…Bob Goff!

So my blog post for this week was going to be about procrastination and how we should start the school year off right by not procrastinating. Well, I decided that would be a great blog post next week, or the week after because I wanted to share something exciting that I got to experience this last weekend.
On Thursday night, fairly casually, mine and Patrick’s friend Trevor, mentioned that Bob Goff was speaking at a church in town Saturday night and Sunday morning. He didn’t quite know the name of it, just that it started with “North” and didn’t really know the time he would be speaking. I couldn’t contain myself. I could not believe that Bob Goff, author of Love Does was coming to Fresno to preach at a church. He’s been all over the world, and could go anywhere he wanted, and he chose to come to Fresno. WOW! I asked Trevor Friday night if he knew anymore information about it, and being the good friend that he is, he looked up the information and found that Bob Goff would be speaking at Northside Christian Church’s 6 pm service on Saturday, August 29. I had to go! I invited Patrick to go, and although he wasn’t super excited like I was, he agreed to go and even pick me up. We got there and church started out like any other service. There were a few worship songs followed by announcements and some more songs and a prayer before Bob came out.
Now, I read Love Does a year and a half ago with my mentor, Shirley, and I could not believe some of the stories that he shared. There was no way they were all real, and there was no way I ever thought I’d get to meet this amazing man who was doing so much to impact the world. Well, I was very wrong on both accounts, but I didn’t know that then.
Saturday night as I was listening to his message, I was drawn in by all that Bob had to share. I loved the fact he was so transparent and was so willing to share even the mean thoughts that came to mind during some of these stories. It made him a person like you or me, that wanted to make a bigger impact on the world. He said a few things that really struck me, and I’d like to share them with you.

1. Let your bucket overflow with whatever you need in that moment. You cannot always be patient, but when you need it most, ask for it, and it will be granted.
  2. Love everyone always. Life is much simpler that way.
  3. Stop inviting people to church. Instead, welcome them.
  4. Love those who creep you out. You know, those who are different from you.

Each of these thoughts have played on repeat for the last two days and I really hope they do not fade from my memory any time soon.
Once the service was over, I definitely wanted to get a picture with Bob and have him sign my book if possible. It was more than possible, Patrick, Trevor, Garrett (another friend) and I even had a conversation with him since the line wasn’t very long at that moment. Needless to say, it was one of the coolest moments of my life. I hugged the Consul for the Republic of Uganda, and I got to hear, see, and experience what love can do. Saturday night was easily the highlight of my week, and I can’t wait to see how my life is changed because of his message.