image1

Conversations

I think in society today we forget to take time to talk with people. To find out what it is they are doing throughout the day, to find out what is going on in their life, or to just talk to someone. However, when we talk, we also have to listen. We don’t give ourselves enough time to have a conversation with someone because we are rushing from point A to B to C all within a matter of minutes. Don’t get me wrong, that is how my life usually is, however this weekend I had to slow down. I wasn’t feeling that great so I had a lot of time to sit and talk and to listen. I had some really good conversations over the last few days with a whole variety of people. I talked with Marshall Johnston on Friday after I received an email from him about The Table 2.0 (more about that coming soon!), Jared who I work with about computers since mine crashed, and a few people at the Apple store as I was sitting there for HOURS trying to recover documents and pictures and everything from the last four months. However, Saturday, Sunday and Monday I had a chance to talk a little longer with some other people. I had a great conversation with Patrick (the boyfriend) on Valentine’s Day, my friend Kristina, my youth pastor Adam, my parents, one of my professors from last year Nancy, my mentor Shirley, and Allison and Gabe from school as well as many others. Oh yeah, and lots of youth group kids! After every conversation I felt a little more encouraged and empowered to do what I needed to do next. It’s incredible how stopping for a minute or two to talk and listen can be so therapeutic and needed.

God tries to talk to us daily, and we just have to be willing to stop and listen. I’m not saying I stop to listen  everyday, I’m human too, but I find that when I do stop to listen, I am encouraged and it is worth the time. Stopping to talk and listen is really easy on the FPU campus, after all, six of the people mentioned above I met at FPU. It’s a community of people who are encouraging each other to be the best they can be through many different conversations. It’s one of the reasons I love working and being on campus every day!