10941863_10205002249953756_8286832682162642743_n

Things I Love-Part 5 #tablegate

The following event actually occurred on Friday, January 23, 2015. These are the details as they occurred.
At approximately 1130 The Table located at the top of the McDonald Hall stairs was found missing, and in its place was a much smaller round table. A panicked student frantically wandered around looking for the one(s) who helped make The Table disappear. They were nowhere to be found.
This led to a post of the much smaller table onto Marshall Johnston’s Facebook timeline which resulted in a slew of comments. Many outraged people commented on the fact that The Table was no longer in its rightful place, and posted pictures of people at The Table using the hashtags as shown: #tablegate, #savethetable, #jesuisletable.
As of Friday night at approximately 1730, I received a message with a picture of The Table returned to its place. This time it had a note on it that read “Wonderful new conference table coming soon!” This caused some confusion and uncertainty as to what would happen in the near future.
Sunday, January 25, 2015 marked a conversation with the president talking about The Table and how news of the event quickly spread.
On Monday morning when I was walking into class, The Table was in its place with chairs around it as if nothing happened. As I went around and questioned those who knew of what is known as #tablegate, I asked for their thoughts. Dr. Neufeld commented, “The instigators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Even though I don’t use it daily, I am advocating on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves. ” One student known as Joe had no comment as he did not realize The Table had ever been missing.
Pam Johnston said, “We call it The Table and it’s used everyday by lots of different people and it’s so cool. It makes this place a real university because we use it. Marshall takes pictures and posts them in Facebook so we have a living record.”
Mark Isaac was surprised by the student responsiveness that was shown in regards to The Table disappearing. He wanted to ensure that everyone knew that “a new table will be built that will match that area.”
Marshall Johnston commented, “One of the things I love about it most is the range in variety of people who are working here and are always willing to chat about why they’re here and how convenient it is to be here.”
As of Monday, January 26, 2015, Pam Johnston met with the builder of the new table, The Table 2.0. It will look very similar and will serve the same purpose. It will be here in a few short weeks.

What’s so incredible about this particular story is not only that it actually happened, but it shows how students, staff, faculty, and administration interact together about things that happen on a daily basis. I enjoy the conversations I have with anyone on the FPU campus (especially at The Table) because they can range from being silly to serious in a matter of seconds. It shows how Fresno Pacific University is a community that genuinely cares about each other especially about the students. It shows that everyone on this campus is working together to make memories that will last a lifetime. I know that #tablegate is something I will remember for quite a while, and I’ll laugh a little each time I think about it.