A Day Off

Not too often do I have a day off where nothing is planned. Even during vacations, it seems that every day has some activity planned, some place for me to be, or some person to go meet. So, needless to say, having nothing to do on Saturday was kind of weird. I tried sleeping in, but I woke up at 7, ready for the day.

So, what did I do you might ask? I cleaned my room, cleaned up part of the house, wrote a paper, and did a lot of things that I’ve been meaning to do that I seem to never have time for. The to do list was long, but somehow I managed to get it all done, and then some. I think something about not being rushed made it easier to get everything done. I even had time to knit a hat and to watch a few episodes of Switched at Birth. It made me realize how I am really looking forward to Christmas break, and as of yet, not having much of anything planned.

Why put off this feeling of being relaxed during vacation when I can take mini-vacations everyday? This does not mean that I am spending hours and hours knitting hats and catching up on shows I have missed, but rather taking a few minutes out of the day each day to do things that fill me. This could be reading a book for fun for a few minutes, watching an episode of 24 or Switched at Birth or a new favorite, Psych. Or, those few minutes could be spent by being filled by God through reading my Bible, listening to Christian music while being still, or just engaging with God in different experiences throughout the day. Being filled looks different each day from watching the sunrise on my way to school, to worshipping with some of my classmates at College Hour, they are little vacations from busy life around me. They are chances for me to step back, take a look at my life, and really enjoy all that is going on with my life and with me.