Student Jobs

As a student at Fresno Pacific University, I keep busy. I am taking 21 units this semester, working two part time jobs, housesitting and petsitting, all while in a relationship. Needlesss to say I am constantly moving. Constantly moving from class to class to work to homework to texting the boyfriend and other friends to doing more work for my other job. It seems like it is a never-ending cycle sometimes. However, I love it. I would not trade my busy life for anything! Having what seems like every hour of my life scheduled is definitely teaching me time management, and as a result, I really appreciate the time that I do have to myself to watch an episode of 24 or go to Saturday morning soccer games.

People ask me why I am working so much when I am still in school. They ask if it’s for the money, and my response is no. I could get by with only one of the jobs, but I do them all because I love it. I love working in the Communications office at Fresno Pacific. The people I work with are incredible and they encourage me each day to be the best I can be. I learn so much in the office that will be helpful later in my life. I love working at Lord of Life as the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries. I definitely don’t do that for the money. I do it because I learn so much from the students I work with. Each day I walk away from the church, I am in awe of what God is doing in their lives, and how God is using them to minister to their family, friends, and me! I housesit because it’s fun. It doesn’t happen as often anymore because I have found people usually go on vacation during the summer or around Christmas time. Not so much in September, October, or November. I do have to say that it is nice to occasionally have more than seven channels to watch television, just in the off chance that I am ahead on homework or have a little time to kill. It also gives me an idea of where in the city I want to live when I’m older. I’ve decided that I don’t want to live in the middle of the city because it’s way too busy and falling asleep is hard at night. Babysitting is one of the other things I get to do on occasion. It’s a glance into motherhood, which has affirmed the fact that will be a journey I will be on at least six or more years from now.

I love it all. I won’t quit something to make time for another job or a different activity. I will figure out a way to make it all work. I’ll figure out a way to go from watching Saturday morning soccer games to babysitting that night to working at church the next morning, to housesitting and working at the school the next day. It’s the life of a student, a student-worker, a girlfriend, a daughter, a sister, and so much more. It’s my life.

• Lilian KOenig

I heard the board was meeting at 12noon today.  Is it open to the students at FPU, or just board members?  Where is it held?
    Thank-you
    Lilian Koenig   FPU Grad.student

• Steve Varvis

Sorry Lilian, the meeting ended at noon.  Steve

• Erin

Hi, Sara

I hope this isn’t weird, but I ran into your blog on student life while doing research for my senior thesis.

I go to APU and am doing my senior thesis on sexism in CCCU schools like Fresno Pacific and APU. I’ve created a survey on the topic that I would really like to distribute to your school somehow.

I thought this would stir some interest in FPU students.

Would you be open to this or helping me in getting it distributed to the FPU population? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I’ve already distributed the survey to my classmates and have received a good amount of information.

If you’re willing to help, please contact me at eahchoy10@apu.edu

Thank you for your time,

Erin A.C.