photo-1

A Full Summer

One of the perks of going to Fresno Pacific is the long summer that we get. Since it is almost four months long, I’ve taken advantage of all the time that I’ve had. I have filled the last nine weeks with friends, food, work, and lots of time to get things done that I didn’t have time for during the school year. Something that’s great about summer, especially when in college, is the fact that most everyone comes home, at least for a little bit. I’ve had a chance to meet up with some of my high school friends, and at least keep in contact with friends on the other side of the United States without class schedules and time differences keeping us apart. Catching up with friends usually means getting together over lunch or Starbucks and often times multiple times a week.

I work on campus as a student assistant, and love my job. The people I work with are incredible and I am so blessed to work with them. They encourage me everyday, and this is a job I wake up and am excited to get to when I go to work. However, it doesn’t pay for all the fun things I want to do.  So, I have a few other side jobs. I help with a catering business, babysit on occasion, and I house-sit/pet-sit. Between these different jobs I’ve kept busy, but made enough money to do some fun things.

During the school year, I didn’t seem to have much time to do many craft projects, or read as many books as I wanted. So, this summer I decided to do the things I wanted to do during the school year. Some of those things have included reading almost a book a week, and enjoying every one of them, making pot-holders for my apartment next year, and working on more major craft projects. At the end of the school year one of my mom’s students decided that he would knit caps for children in other countries. So, I have been helping with that. My mom and I have knit over 60 caps, and are still knitting! I have been working on a latch-hook wall hanging that will eventually hang somewhere in my parent’s house, and a cross-stitch Advent calendar. I’ve been working on both these projects for the last three years and this year I’ve had a chance to really make progress on both of them. It’s been a lot of fun! I also had a chance to redo my room and I love the way it looks now!

So all in all, this summer has been productive and I’ve loved every minute of it. I cannot believe that move-in day is less than six weeks away! Check back next week for more of my summer adventures!

photo (1)

This is the Advent calendar that I’ve been working on. The first picture is what it looked like at the beginning of summer, and the second picture is what it looks like today!

• wha

Did the leadership of the university intend to condescendingly paint an unnamed number of its own employees as impetuous, greedy children?

• JMD

I believe he is describing a phase of human & organizational development that we ought to be aware of in order to avoid such tendencies. He is not, as you suggest, painting university employees in particular in this way (although I’m sure some of them could be categorized in this way). A quick look at his previous writings will show that he often uses organizational principles to educate and challenge university employees. Consider trying not to immediately assume the worst next time.