Deciding on a Career

It seems like only yesterday I was packing up my bags and moving onto the FPU campus for the first time. Now as I am headed into my junior year, I can’t believe how fast time has gone by. As the days go by, I realize that I am one step closer to graduation, which is incredible to think about. However, the thought also creates a knot in my stomach as I remember I am also one step closer towards getting a “big girl job” and working in the “real world.”

For the past few years now, I have been pursuing a career in physical therapy. It sounds like a wonderful and rewarding job, but I still haven’t gotten the chance to observe a physical therapist at work. I have been trying to volunteer at a rehabilitation hospital over the past few months, but it has turned out to be a long process. Even though I have finally finished all of the required tests and paperwork, I still haven’t been able to begin shadowing because I have to wait until the hospital contacts me.

In the meantime, I have had a lot of time to think about what I see myself doing as a career. I know I want to work with people (preferably children), and I know I love science. I’m happy that I have discovered that much. To tell the truth, though, I don’t know if I would be a good physical therapist. Something that I have thought about recently is that physical therapists often have to lift, maneuver and massage their patients, and I don’t know if I would be comfortable doing that. Now I know that there is more to therapy than this, but I just don’t want to pursue something that will be difficult for me. Of course, I’m not going to let go of this option because I still have a lot to learn about it!

The other career I’ve always considered is a physician’s assistant. I have always loved the idea of being a doctor, and physician’s assistants get to work under doctors without having to go through as much schooling.  Medicine has always fascinated me and I grew up surrounded by it. I feel like I would be great at working with patients and showing them that I truly care about their needs. If I pursued this career, I would need to attend PA school and earn a master’s degree.

Right now I think I will continue to work towards my kinesiology degree, but also remember that I am not limited to physical therapy. I am still trying to keep my options open and I am praying that God will guide me towards a career that I will love.

Vanessa