10259412_283054381863826_3409067015624076016_n

Wrapping Up the Year

The sun is out to stay, students are playing games on The Green and free ice cream is being given out in the forest. This could only mean one thing: summer is coming soon. As exciting as it is to think I only have a week and a half left of school, I can’t help but feel overwhelmed. It seems as if I still have so much to do and not enough time to do it. I still have papers to write, projects to finish, and finals to study for. On top of it all, I somehow have to spend as much time as possible with my residents. We had a fun time  dressing up and going to The Cheesecake Factory last week! I am finally at a place where I feel comfortable in my living area and am not so sure I’m ready to leave it behind.

Even so, I am excited for summer to come so that I can be with my best friends. Unfortunately, the hard part about getting older is that we all have summer jobs and so we may not have a ton of time together. I found out recently that I got hired as a swim coach for my city’s swim league. After a dozen years of swimming, I am ready to be the one who sits on the block instructing swimmers rather than being the one actually doing the laps. I hope I get to work with young swimmers because I would love to be able stand at the end of their lanes during meets and celebrate with them as they make it across the pool. I also hope that being a coach takes me back to fond memories of my childhood where I would play hand-clapping games with my friends in line and run to the candy bar to treat myself for getting a personal best time. Most of all, I hope my group of swimmers learn to love the sport as much as I do.

In addition to coaching, I will still be working online and will help transfer content onto our new website. I am pretty lucky to have a job where I can work from home and choose what hours I want to work. I will also take a summer school class online (Art Appreciation). After I take that class I will be finished with my general education classes! This makes me very happy because I am ready to take courses that actually apply to my major. I highly suggest taking online summer school classes because this has enabled me to take less units during the school year while still being on-track to graduate.

Speaking of graduation, I am half way there! As I wrap up another year of college, I hope that you will keep me in your prayers. More importantly, I ask that you would pray for my family as we are going through a really rough time at home and also for my residents as they finish their freshman year. May you all be reminded of God’s presence in this wonderful time of the year.

Vanessa Montes