Learning to be a Leader

This past weekend I went to Cal Baptist University to attend CCLC (Christian College Leadership Conference) with various other leaders from our school. This conference is meant to help us connect with other leaders, learn new ideas, and prepare for the upcoming year. We were fortunate to have Josh Riebock as our guest speaker and the band All Sons and Daughters to lead worship. We were also given the opportunity to attend workshops that were led by staff from other schools. I just wanted to share with you a few things I took away from the conference that really stood out to me.

1. Leaders are not perfect. Just because you are in a leadership role it does not mean you have to have everything figured out. If we were perfect then we would have no need for the Holy Spirit.

2. Josh described us all as both “heroes and monsters.” We are heroes because we are created in the image of God and therefore capable of doing amazing things, but we are also monsters because we often let the evil in this world get to us and end up hurting other people. We mess up and that is okay.

3. Many people are afraid to pursue a career because they don’t know if it’s what God is calling them to do. Josh said as long as you are chasing after God, it doesn’t matter what you choose to do with your life.

4. We all have storms in our life that overwhelm us. We often try to fix things by taking certain actions and focus on moving forward. God wants us to be still and trust in Him.

5. It is so important as a leader to be vulnerable and authentic because it will encourage other people to do the same. At the same time, it is okay to set boundaries and allow some people to know more about you than others.

There were so many other wonderful things that were said, but these were just some that I really resonated with. As I look ahead to next year, I hope I can remember these ideas and put them into practice. I just found out yesterday who my future residents will be, and I’m very excited but also nervous. Please pray for me as I try to become a better leader.

Love,

Vanessa