1471865_10201187019584052_691421339_n

Another Semester Done

I was just stalking myself on Facebook. I know that sounds weird, but I like to go through all of my posts and make sure that everything I post reflects who I am in a positive way. As I was scrolling down the screen, I noticed tears coming to my eyes. I have truly had a wonderful semester and I am blessed beyond measure. There have definitely been some low points throughout the year, but overall God has continued to amaze me.

The most significant and surprising part of my semester were my residents. In the first few months, I felt a mixture of emotions. Some days I loved them, and other days they drove me crazy. I think that is probably what parenthood is like. I debated on giving up numerous times. Sometimes I felt like a terrible R.A. because my girls weren’t connecting and some of them were making poor choices. Deep down though, I knew the truth. I knew that I was not responsible for the actions of my girls and that I was doing the best that I could. We ended up having three room changes on our floor, which is very uncommon. When my R.D. decided to let the girls move, I felt like I had failed. I kept reminding myself that it wasn’t my fault.

1466274_10202073843354837_1965875862_n

After the room changes things got a lot better. Girls were no longer afraid to come out to the common area. The drama was essentially gone. This allowed me to have some great memories with my girls towards the end of the semester. I was so happy when there were around 20 girls in our common area during The Encounter, both residents and high school students, and we all watched movies together until 2 in the morning. I also enjoyed having a “spa night” with my residents and taking silly pictures together in our facial masks. Just a few nights ago, a bunch of us decided to have a fashion show. I got to film my girls walking in their PJ’s and heels, giggling and having fun. Looking back, I can point out many great times that I’ve had being an R.A. Even though it was hard at first, it definitely got better and I am looking forward to next semester.

Of course, I couldn’t have gotten through the semester without the support of my friends. My small group, the other freshman R.A.s and my R.D., have been so helpful and encouraging. My support team, Miranda and Rebecca, continually lifted me up and gave me advice. My boyfriend, Dominic, reassured me that I was doing the right thing and acted as my rock that I could always lean on when things got tough. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have support at Fresno Pacific and in Visalia.

1470360_10202059717961711_10124049_n

Another part of the semester was my academics. As you may know, I push myself to have perfect grades. This semester the most difficult class I took was General Biology. In fact, it was the most difficult class I have taken in my life. I began preparing for it over the summer and studied so many hours throughout the school year. My hard work did pay off, as I once again received straight A’s this semester. As proud as I am of myself, I also wish I wouldn’t have spent so much time worrying about my grades. I am still learning that grades aren’t everything.

Now I am finally home and looking forward to a whole month off filled with friends and family. It is so nice to relax and not worry about school. But knowing me, I probably will be trying to prepare for next semester. Please pray that I have an awesome break!

Vanessa

• Susan Butler

This sounds like a neat idea. I’m not sure if I could do this with my students. Many of them do not have access at home to technology. However, perhaps I could use our school learn pads and my teacher’s aide to split our class into two groups. One could listen to a lesson while the other did an activity with me. I’ll need to give this more thought.

• Susan Butler