Another Semester

Written on January 21

I am only two weeks into the new semester and for some reason I am already exhausted. It might have something to do with the fact that I have 8:00 a.m. classes every day! It is no fun. Still, I am trying to stay positive because I have a lot to look forward to this semester.

First, I can’t stop thinking about the FPU trip to Disneyland. Too bad it isn’t until March. It comes to my mind almost every day (just ask my room mates) because Disneyland is my favorite place ever. Whenever I’m feeling upset or stressed, I just think about Disneyland.

Also, I’m excited to be taking new classes. I don’t know how I survived the past twelve years of school in year-long classes. There is no way I would want to do another semester of pre – calculus. My classes this semester are General Chemistry, Principles of Biology, Oral Communication, Concepts of Wellness, and Medieval Modernization. I know chemistry is going to get tougher, but I feel really prepared and confident because I did so well last semester. I also really like my biology professor, Dr. Kunz. He has been teaching here for a long time, and so he teaches the subject in an entertaining, impromptu way. Tim Haydock, my Oral Comm teacher, is also incredible. I can’t say enough positive things about him, and I’m sure most people on campus would agree with me. I’m thinking maybe giving speeches won’t be as difficult as I originally anticipated. Med Mod, however, is probably going to give me a run for my money. I have to read four books for that class, plus the textbook. And we all know reading about history isn’t the most exciting thing to do.

Lastly, I’m hoping to spend more time with my girl friends. Last semester I had a tendency to barricade myself in my room for hours a day doing homework. While it did pay off to do that, I also wish I would’ve gone off campus a little more. I’ve enjoyed a little free time these first few weeks because there’s usually not a ton of work to do in the beginning of the semester. My roommate and I went shopping one night last week, and this past week I went with my boyfriend to a movie. I can’t remember the last time we did that. I often get so caught up in school and work that I forget to give myself a break. So I guess my goal for this semester would be to find time once a week to do something fun.

Even though I’m already counting down the days until Spring Break (58!), I am happy to be back at school right now. Fresno Pacific has become a second home to me. I have high expectations of myself for this semester, but I have confidence that I can meet them because of the school I’m at. It’s hard to believe it was a year ago that I was worried about coming here. I can’t believe everything has worked out the way it has, and for that I am thankful to God. Keep me in your prayers.

Vanessa