1/8 Done

It has been a crazy month! I am officially 1/8 of the way through with my undergraduate studies. I’m one step closer to my bachelor’s degree. This first semester has been a quite a journey, but  it went by much quicker than I thought it would. I am very proud of how far I’ve come and how easily I’ve adjusted to life at FPU. I honestly can’t say enough wonderful things about this school. Because of the encouraging and loving atmosphere on campus, I was able to excel in many areas. I’ve met a ton of amazing people and have grown close to many professors. It’s sad that I will be getting new ones next semester, but also exciting. My biggest accomplishment, however, is that I received straight A’s this semester. This was a pleasant surprise because most students don’t perform this well when taking college courses. Don’t get me wrong, the classes I personally took were challenging, but I was able to do well because I utilized my resources and took advantage of all the support offered here. I pushed myself harder than I ever have before, and it certainly paid off. Many college students receive a rude awakening during their first semester because they aren’t used to having to do so much work. Thankfully, I prepared myself well in high school and was able to make good use of my time.

Some people give up on college because they think it’s too difficult, but I think they are underestimating their capabilities. Something I love about this school is that no matter how smart you are, there are ways to succeed. My friend, for instance, had 17 units this semester, worked 30 hours a week, and was still able to earn A’s and B’s in his classes. Ironically, he didn’t have very good grades in high school. In fact, his GPA from this past semester was higher than any of his years in high school. Was this because he got lucky and suddenly became a genius? Of course not! My friend simply worked hard and never gave up on himself. He pulled many late nights studying in the lounge and missing out on activities, but it was worth it for him.

Another story I want to share is about a girl who lived on my floor this semester. Literally almost every day I’d come to the dorm after school, and see this girl sitting on the couch watching T.V. How does she have so much free time? I thought to myself. I ignored it at first because I figured not everyone has as busy of a schedule as I did, but as time went by she continued to watch T.V. every day for hours on end.  I became frustrated because I would’ve done anything to be able to be in her position and just relax like that. It didn’t seem  fair. And yet, at the end of the semester I realized it was. During finals week I saw this girl packing her bags to go home. When I asked my R.A. why she wasn’t taking finals, she said it was because she flunked out of all of her classes and wasn’t going to return to FPU. Of course! I thought. Obviously she dropped out because she watched T.V. and never did homework.

Why do I tell these stories? I share them to prove that college is really what you make of it. If you stay focused and make good use of your time, you will succeed. Sure, you may not always be perfect, but you will do well. It doesn’t matter how bright you are. I didn’t get the grades because I knew all of the answers. I made good choices. I worked hard, devoted many hours to my studies, and asked for help. I was also able to make time for fun. I’m proud of the way I managed my time this semester. I think I’m ready for next semester, but first I think I’ll enjoy this break.

Vanessa