Fall Formal

I’d have to say that school dances were some of my favorite memories from high school. Of course, being in a crowded room full of loud and sweaty teenagers was not exactly “special,” but there were parts of the evening that I always enjoyed that didn’t actually take place on the dance floor. I loved getting dressed up in sparkly gowns and high heels, going to dinner beforehand with a ton of good friends, posing for hundreds of pictures like a supermodel, and always going to dessert afterwards. So, you can imagine my excitement when I found out I get to experience this again in college!

Last weekend was our Fall Formal, which took place at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo. I didn’t know what to expect because I’d never attended an outdoor dance before. I went with my two room mates and our boyfriends, and the six of us had such a fun time. Candles inside mason jars filled with coffee beans lit up the tables surrounding the dance floor. There were delicious appetizers and, my favorite, a candy table! There was also a photo booth to take professional pictures and silly pictures with props. But the best part was the zoo. Only about half of the animals were awake, but we still had a blast waving at the sea lions and catching a glimpse of the new baby kangaroo. I hadn’t been to the zoo in awhile, and so going again brought back memories of my childhood. When we were done wandering the zoo, we headed to the dance floor. It was small, probably big enough to hold about 40 people, but that didn’t stop students from dancing. As for the type of dancing, well, let’s just say it was way more appropriate than the kind I’ve seen at high school dances. That made it so much more comfortable and fun in my opinion. My boyfriend and I jumped around and acted silly most of the time.

It was nice to experience a formal dance with all new people. While I miss going to dances with my girl friends from high school, I had such a good time making new memories with my friends from FPU. I was still able to continue my little traditions as well. My night began with dinner with my group and ended with a trip to Denny’s for dessert. I truly had a special time, and I’d like to thank my boyfriend for making it such a wonderful night. I’ll post pictures and write again soon!

Vanessa