580243_10151448026091038_1574323593_n

Mock Rock

Mock Rock is a famous event for students at FPU that occurs annually. Every year, students have the option to form teams who sign up to compete. The teams choose a song to dance and lip sync to, and they perform it on stage at Mock Rock. The bright lights lit up the stage in the cafeteria, and about six or seven groups came out one by one and danced this year. These groups ranged from 2-20 people. Members of the FPU faculty took part as judges who scored the teams based on unity, creativity, and even costume choice. They decided on the first, second, and third place winners. I was shocked when I heard that the third place team wins $50 cash, the second place team wins $150 cash, and the first place team wins $400 cash! I found each group to be unique, but what they all had in common was the humor they added to their dance.

One team danced to Psy’s “Gangnam Style.” This song has recently become a viral Youtube video that is almost entirely in Korean. It is fast-paced and has a very catchy beat. Everyone in the crowd smiled when we saw our ASB President Yun Shin lead a group of 15 dancers to this song like a professional. Their dance closely resembled the music video with it’s dorky moves and ridiculous outfits. My Resident’s Assistant was even a part of this team! Expectedly, they scored very high and managed to win third place. Another team dressed as 90s pop artists and they sang and danced to a mash up of their popular songs. It was so funny to watch how they impersonated their character. I easily recognized “Britney Spears” by the way she moved in her red leather pantsuit and the boy band “N’Sync” by the dreamy expressions on their faces. I expected them to win first place instead of second, but I think I favored this group over the others because of their song choice. I grew up listening to many of these artists and found myself singing the words of every song. Many other teams were entertaining, but it was JT’s Angels that managed to win first prize. In pink shirts and denim booty shorts, they created a clever dance to “Delirious” by Flo Rida. Everyone in the audience burst into laughter. Because they were each members of the FPU track team, their muscular legs provided a hilarious contrast to their dance. I’m not a huge fan of boys dancing like girls (I saw plenty of that in high school), but I was very impressed with the way they moved their bodies in sync.

By the end of the show, I was begging for more. I was really surprised by the amount of time and effort that I could tell the teams put into their performances. It must have been a  a lot of hard work, but it was definitely worth it for all. In fact, I think I might join a group and perform next year!

Vanessa

• Larry Martens

Thanks for a summary of the WASC report, for your leadership in managing the process, for the excellent work of our accreditation team, and the engagement of faculty and staff in the process. Well done, good and faithful servants!

• Jason Orton

Congratulations Kelly! I’ve had some of her great food at an FPU function last year. It was really great!