TL Program Alumnus Spotlight: Travis Harding

The following was written by Travis W. Harding, FPU Teacher Librarian Services Credential alumnus (2014-2017) and teacher librarian at Atwater High School in Atwater, California:

The decision to transition from a high school classroom teacher to a teacher librarian was a monumental moment in my career as a professional educator. After twelve wonderful and successful years in the classroom teaching courses ranging from special education to AP U.S. Government and Politics, I found myself longing for both a new challenge and a way to share the pedagogical skills that I developed while working as a classroom teacher. Through prayer and a lot of self-reflection, I truly began to feel that it was time for me to enter a field of education that allowed me to lead and become an agent of change at my district. The manner in which I would put this charge into action was unclear at first but when a teacher librarian position became available in my district in the summer of 2014, God’s plan for me was revealed and I embarked on one of the most challenging (and rewarding) journeys of my life.

The Fresno Pacific University Teacher Librarian program provided me with a flexible, on-line program that allowed me to work full-time as a teacher librarian while working toward my teacher librarian services credential. I found the professors at FPU to be fair, professional and above all, experienced in the work of a school librarian. The coursework was by and large practical to the duties of a school librarian. Additionally, the program focuses on many of the skills that now define 21st century school librarianship. These skills are now central to my role as an instructional leader and technology integration expert at my school site. Lastly, the Christ centered focus of Fresno Pacific University provided me with the spiritual support that guided the way along my three year journey. There is a sense of trust, confidence and peace that comes from the knowledge that the university’s guiding principles are steeped in the values of Christ himself.

“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” ~Romans 5:1

Travis Harding photo