Meet the Jetsons !

Well … the iPhone 4 is about to come out and it looks like for the 1st time, we can interact like the Jetsons!   Video phone calls are no longer in the future.   I know, you are thinking about applications such as Skype and other videoconferencing applications that have been available for a long time but these have all needed at least a laptop and/or a wired connection.   They have not allowed for full mobility like a phone.   The power of the mobile device allows us to be (almost) anywhere and bring others along with us.   As with all technologies, it will take a while before everybody has access to this type of technology but it will be coming soon to all mobile phones I suspect.   It is only a matter of time.

So … the question is … how does this affect social presence in online learning?   What does it mean if a teacher/professor can be (almost) anywhere and connect with their students?   What does this mean for classrooms connecting with experts in the field as they climb a volcano or investigate the Amazon?  These questions are rolling around in my head as I craft a paper about social presence in online learning.   We no longer need to just rely on just text and/or voice.  We can now see the facial expressions and body language as we study or work together.   And … we can do it from (almost) anywhere.

If you haven’t seen the video of how this is suppose to work, please take a look.  I have embedded it to the side of this post.   It is really cool and you get to listen to some great music from Louie Armstrong, one of my favorites.   Enjoy!