To iPad or not to iPad: The question is answered!

by Matt Gehrett on February 14, 2012

About two years ago, I wrote a blog post regarding the iPad.  You can find it at http://blogs.fresno.edu/continuing-education/2010/01/29/to-ipad-or-not-to-ipad-that-is-the-question/ Well, it has been two years and I believe the question has been answered and it is a resounding YES!  iPad use is exploding in K-16 education throughout the nation.   The iPad has become not only a device to consume content, but a device that can create content as well.   The iPad has set the standard for the tablet market and everyday, more and more apps, are being developed.  In areas such as autism, educators and parents are finding the iPad to be a revolutionary device for children.

And as far as teacher training, I have done many iPad workshops over the last two years.  They are always a sellout.  (You can find the website I use for instruction at http://web.me.com/fpuprofdev/ACSI/iPad_for_Educators.html.  Feel free to take a look.)   For almost 20 years, I have been leading technology professional development and I have never seen such enthusiasm for the effective use of a piece of technology from teachers.   Teachers are beginning to truly integrate the iPad into their instruction and engage their students.   What is the difference?   I think it is the personal nature of the device and the absolute ease of use.   For once, the average user can truly tailor a piece of technology to their individual needs and preferences.  Also, with the addition of an Apple TV and projection device, teachers no longer need to be stuck at the front of the classroom as they teach.  They can hand the iPad to students and let them “drive” from anywhere in the classroom.   At least, these are my current theories as I see happy faces leave my workshops.

There are many stories about schools moving forward with iPads.  I just want to highlight one in particular.   Immanual Schools in Reedley, CA is one of the schools that has made a bold move into the future through the use of iPads.  Check out this article to find out more.  Continuing Education at FPU is providing support and I am doing research with the staff and students to measure the impact on instruction and student learning over time.  Check back in a couple of years to see if the answer is still YES based on my research.   We will see what happens …

• J. Byrn

I love my iPad and so do my children. They use it for learning and gaming. Yet, the tech department of my district continues to state that our network cannot support Apple products?!? This does not sound true to me. However, I am not an IT person so I do not know. How can I find out?

Previous post:

Next post: