Notes from the October Board Meeting

This week I’m handing over Connecting Points to a good friend of Fresno Pacific University. Board Chair Don Griffith will provide some insights on the October board meeting. Enjoy! — Rich

The Board of Trustees completed two days of productive and significant work during our October meetings this last weekend. I would like to share the highlights from those sessions.

Presidential Search Process

The board selected a search firm and consultant to guide us in our search for the next president of FPU. After a thorough screening process and detailed reference checks, the board voted to retain AGB Search and Paul Corts, Ph.D., as our search consultant. AGB Search was founded in 2010 by the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB). With more than 1,250 member institutions, AGB serves the interests of higher education leadership. Corts has been with AGB Search since 2012, has served as the president of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and spent a total of 20 years as president of two universities.

Strategic Plan Goals

In June the board approved the university strategic plan. To clarify board expectations relative to progress toward the enrollment numbers in the plan, in October the board established specific minimum incremental goals for enrollment: traditional undergraduate—1,250, graduate—1,300, degree completion—1,800 and online education—1,000. All goals are to be met by October 1, 2018, with progress toward these goals reported by administration in each board meeting between now and October 2018. These are incremental goals only; the board expects the university to reach the strategic plan enrollment numbers as expeditiously as possible.

Other

• Faculty on Board committees—the board approved the addition of one faculty member to each board standing committee. Faculty members are appointed to board committees by the board chair, are fully participating members of the committee and serve for a term of one year. We believe this initiative should enhance the committee decision-making process.
  • Diversity Statement—in June the board adopted a diversity rationale; in October the board strengthened that document by approving a Diversity Statement.
  • MB Confession of Faith—the board provided clarification regarding the university’s position on the definition of marriage in light of the Supreme Court’s decision earlier this year in which the court re-defined marriage. The board passed a resolution re-affirming its commitment to the MB Confession of Faith statement on marriage, singleness and family. The board instructed the administration to draft a policy reflecting the university’s commitment serve a diverse student population, including LGBT-Q students who desire the kind of Christian higher education offered at FPU.
  • President’s First Year Review—the president received a satisfactory review from the board which was both informative and instructive. Thank you to the campus community who participated in the review process—your input was very helpful.
  • Policy on University Leadership—the board adopted a policy that more clearly defines the role of the president and senior vice president/provost and how the board supports each. Unless changed by the board in the future, this policy will serve as the model our next president will follow as well.

As we look to the future, Fresno Pacific University will face a number of changes and new opportunities as well as challenges. We will make the transition to a new president within the near future. The current timeline for the presidential search continues in February 2016 with the search consultant training the board, and concludes with the appointment of the new president in February 2017, who starts serving July 1, 2017. Obviously there will be many intermediate steps and a lot of work to make that happen. During that same time we intend to move forward with a silent phase of donor development for the new Fine Arts Building for which the board approved a location, footprint and budget in June. Preliminary plans for that building have been under development and will continue as the board authorizes, based on gifts available for that project. Additionally the university will move forward to achieve the incremental goals for enrollment and continue to pursue the strategic plan, which is obviously no small task in itself.

The board recognizes the significant accomplishments and sacrifices made by the university community in the past year. This is a time to press forward to continue to shape a bright future at FPU. Our mission statement defines who we are and how we go about being a Christian university. The board has established a strategic plan and leadership policy to guide us well into the future. As we work together to achieve the goals and outcomes in the strategic plan we will not only fulfill our mission as “faithful servants,” but we will at the same time contribute to the financial health of the university, which will in turn provide more opportunity and reward for everyone involved in the process. Thank you for allowing us to serve you.

Don Griffith
Chair, FPU Board of Trustees

• Sandra dodd

It is clear that this is new to everyone.  It is also clear that is very user unfriendly at this point. SFS forms ares denies acces to students and workers at the centers.  The pathways that were there are missing.

• Sandra, sorry you’re having difficulties. It was a pretty complex move and much of the process was manually done. We’re tracking bad links to make sure we can fix them but if you could provide the address of the page you were on I can check those links for you. If I know the page it makes it much easier to track errors down.

• Sandra Dodd

Nick, on the old page, across the top was a link for currnet students.  That led to other area where things were located.  Also there was a forms and downloads link that gave access to the forms I am asked for as a worker at the Bakersfield Center.  Try as I can, I do not find these,  I know maybe in the future things will appear.
        I guess I was mostly frustrated because it was new and I am not familure with the format.  Thanks for the reply,

• Sandra, if you scroll to the bottom of any page you’ll see two links. One to “Current Students”. This will go to the page you need. Let me know if any of the links on that page don’t work or are missing. 

• Rose Denberg

Where are the emails? Where did our Campus LogIn go to? Please help! I will give you my other email as I can’t find this one…rmdenberg@gmail.com My name is Rose Denberg and I am a Grad student

• Rose, if you scroll to the bottom of any page you’ll see two links. One to “Current Students” and another to “My FPU”. These should get you to what you need. Let me know if you have any more trouble. 

• Steph

When logged onto Campuc Cruiser, why cant I access any of the links? I keep getting messages that say that my cookies aren’t enabled or that the maximum number of cookies have been met. I’ve changed setups on my comp, but the same messages remain popping up.  Any help???

• Nick Gundry

Steph, I’ve emailed our IT dept to see if we can figure it out as they manage the Campus Cruiser system. As soon as I find out anything I’ll let you know.

• Fantastic information, I’m very glad you decided to share your thoughts. Keep up the great work.

• Awesome post. Thanks for the update for Fresno U!