Get Up and Go Find Jesus!

“In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, ‘Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.’” -Matthew 2:1-2

Read Matthew 2:1-12

Do you have a bucket list for your life? What do you aspire to do with the rest of your days? What are you seeking? The Magi had placed at the top of their bucket list finding the king of kings, the bright and morning star. The first disciples’ quest was to see where Jesus lived (John 1:37-39). They got up and went after Jesus, following him closely and dwelling with him for a day.

What are you gazing at that seems out of reach, high above you? The movie The Bucket List has inspired many viewers to develop a bucket list of their life’s dreams (before they “kick the bucket”). The movie emphasizes doing what you have never done before, but the truly radical and risk-taking bucket-list challenge is to seek the Lord by stepping out of your comfort zone. For me the bucket-list challenge has led from New York to Pennsylvania to Chicago, then to Pakistan and now to California. Join me—and the Magi—in seeking the Lord in new places. Get up and go for Jesus, the bright and morning star who will light the path ahead of you and lead you to the places he dwells and works. Have the passion for Christ that declares, “One thing I ask of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord” (Psalm 27:4).

Get up and go for Jesus! Shine you star and lead others to the light of the world.

Bright and morning star, lead me today to review my priorities and to open myself to the new direction you have for me.

Yvette Jones, University Ambassador and First Lady, Fresno Pacific University