Shepherds

“But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.’” -Luke 2:8-10

Read Luke 2:1-20

Jesus’s birth was announced to the shepherds in the fields as “good news that will cause great joy for all people.” Good news. Great joy. All people.

That is Gospel.

Of course, if the Gospel of Jesus really is good news for everyone, how private should we be about this message? Many people practice tolerance for other people’s faith, as long as they keep it to themselves. But if I have good news for you that I keep to myself, that is not kindness but unkindness. This news is wonderful and is for everyone. The Gospel is an announcement that’s meant to be shared!

That’s what we see the shepherds do. Luke records that “when they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child. And all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.”

Seeing Jesus, really and truly seeing Jesus, compels us to action. The shepherds first spread the word, and then later return glorifying and praising God. For a little while, Mary treasures the good news of Jesus in her heart; but later at a wedding in Cana, Mary is so eager for Jesus to demonstrate his miraculous power that Jesus has to tell her that his time has not yet come!

What would it look like for you to be so transformed by getting to know the person of Jesus, that you truly believe that he is good news of great joy for all people, that you spend your life spreading the word?

Jesus, help me know and experience you so that I am convinced you are the good news this hurting world needs. Thank you for being with me as I begin joyfully spreading the good news message!

Bruxy Cavey, Th.M., Teaching Pastor at The Meeting House, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Guest Faculty in Ministry, Leadership & Culture, Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary