Birthing New Life

“So she laughed to herself. She thought, ‘I’m worn out, and my husband is old. Can I really know the joy of having a baby?’” -Genesis 18:12

Read Genesis 18:1-15

When I was younger, I thought I was going to have many children by the time I was in my 20s. This did not happen, so I set aside the idea of children and focused on school and a career. My new life journey did not always sit well with my family, who asked me repeatedly when I was planning to start a family.

During the biblical times traditions were passed down through offspring. Among the many motivations for having children, giving birth and raising a child was a form of survival, an important factor of social status. Not being able to have children could create feelings of fear, sadness and not belonging. We as humans can relate to Sarah’s reaction of disbelief when we long for something that appears unobtainable.

The beauty of this text is found not only in the miracle that God will bring forward in Sarah, but also in the invitation to be a conduit of creation regardless of our social status and abilities.

As the years progressed, I have learned there are many ways God can birth new life through me, many of which I would have laughed at when I was younger. God is always creating and looking for willing nurturers of the spirit to share God’s goodness with the world. This invitation is not dependent on our worth or social status. During the Advent season we are celebrating the miracle of birth not only in the flesh but also in the spirit.

Lord, help us recognize your invitation to partner in your spirit to bring forward new life during this Advent season.

Angela Paula Hernandez, MFTI, Non-Teaching Adjunct Faculty, Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary